Adventures in First Grade

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Classroom: Owl Style (Part 1)

Back in the summer, I posted about wanting a change.  I wanted to completely rearrange my classroom.  Well, I did it.  The only thing that is the same is my small group/teacher area because that is the only place in the room where it works.

Here is a picture from my doorway:


The bottom left of the picture shows the back of two of the bookcases in my classroom library.  On the back of the white bookshelf I have my owl welcome sign:



I have moved my classroom library to the other side of my room.  Here is the end result:



My favorite part of the library is my Franklin and Llama, Llama plush:



Tune in tomorrow where I will show you another section of my classroom.

~~~~~~~~~

Today in math, I taught my children how to play Cara Carroll's Roll and Remove.  Using Debbie Diller's great idea of math mats, I divided my kids into partners after I had modeled the right way the game.  I was amazed at how well they played together!  There was no arguing, no whining, no off topic talking...it was awesome!



What are some of your favorite math games to play at the beginning of the year?

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Love your classroom! :) My favorite beginning of the year game is the simple and easy Race to 100. All the kids need is a hundreds chart (well, now a 120 chart!), a die, and two markers. One player rolls the dice and moves that many places on the board. When they land they have to say the number aloud. Continue until the first person reaches 100. Great for understanding direction of the hundreds chart. :)

    Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun game! That will be in my plans for next week. Thank you so much for sharing!

      Delete