Adventures in First Grade

Monday, August 20, 2012

P.T. (Positive Thinking)

Wow...These last few weeks have just been a whirlwind of activity!  Our first day of school was last Wednesday.

Here is a picture of my big first grader.  Can you tell that he was nervous and didn't want to have his picture taken?


Today was our fourth day of school and he LOVES his teacher and first grade! 

My new firsties ROCK!  They are good listeners, not too chatty, and just an overall sweet group of kids.  I feel VERY blessed.

During the first week of school, I do a lot of talk about positive thinking.

I start by reading The Little Engine That Could.  We talk about how even though the little blue engine is very small and has never even been over the mountain, that she still tries and, most importantly, thinks that she can do it.

We then write three sentences together.  I usually blow their minds by telling them that I want them to remember these three sentences for the rest of their lives, not just first grade.

These are the sentences that we write:

I am a Super Kid!

I will use P.T. everyday.

I will keep on smiling.

Here are a couple of examples of their work:






I keep a small poster on my chalkboard to remind them to always use P.T.:



If a student ever starts to say "I can't...", all I have to do is point to this sign to remind them to at least try

If you have already gone back to school, I hope you have had a great first few days.  If you haven't started back yet, good luck!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment