Adventures in First Grade

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Great Crayon Project

Today, I heard those two dreaded words come out of my seven-year-old's mouth:  "I'm bored." 

AAUGH!!!!!!!!!

Well, I just hopped over to my pinterest boards and found some things for us to do.  We did a couple of experiments.  The first one was the standard baking soda and vinegar.  Both boys thought that was pretty neat.

Next, we did an experiment using white vinegar and pennies.  It's supposed to turn them green after a few hours/days. Here's a pic:


Lastly we did what I am calling the Great Crayon Project.

You start by getting crayons, you know the odds and end broken pieces that you have laying around.  Peel the paper off each one.





Next step:  Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.  Cut a piece of cardboard to fit in the cookie sheet.  Arrange the crayons on the cardboard.

Here is Luke's:



 Here's mine:





After you have arranged the crayons, put the cookie sheets in the oven at 250 degrees for about ten minutes.  When the time is up use a craft stick and swirl around the melted wax.



The final product:

Luke's Crayon Creation

My Crayon Creation


Once the wax has cooled, I am going to cut away the excess cardboard so our art can be displayed.

What are some fun projects that you have created this summer?

Happy Tuesday!


2 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Thanks so much for the back-to-school package...I hope my package made its way safely to you. Glad to be your newest follower!

    -Mai
    Diary of a Grumpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everyone,
    I am a former 1st grade teacher and am selling tons of teaching resources and books on my amazon store suitable for K-2! Check it out if you are interested!

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_6?ie=UTF8&asin=0590643762&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A1WU61CGOMI6CP

    Thanks,
    Julie :)

    ReplyDelete