Adventures in First Grade

Friday, June 1, 2012

Social Studies Adoption

Our county is adopting a new language arts and social studies series for next year.  We have already received the new history materials and I am in love!

Typically in the past, our social studies materials have not been very useful because they did not cover Virginia's Standard of Learning criteria.  We rarely used them.

Our new series is published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and is geared specifically to Virginia!  The full title is Virginia Social Studies:  My Country, Yesterday and Today.  The book is consumable, colorful, and kid friendly.  It really reminds me of a Weekly Reader feel.

Have you had similar experiences in the past with your social studies books?  Does anyone now use the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt series for your particular state?

Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! We don't even have social studies books. :-(

    It is up to us to come up with the things we teach for it.

    And our science book is just a Big Book or projected from my computer.

    The upper grades have them, but I guess they decided the lower grades could do without.

    Happy for you though. I love NEW books! :-)

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also teach in VA and 1-5 adopted this series. This was our first year with our new adoption. I teach K and we adopted Five Ponds (Which I love). Haven't heard much about these books. Will try to find out what others think about them!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete