Adventures in First Grade

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Restrooms?

Okay.  I know that this is a very strange post title.  Did it get your attention?  Good, because I need your advice.

Let me set the scene of my dilemma.  Our first grade pod is a semi-open concept design.  Four classes share a set of bathrooms.  I've tried several different ideas for managing the, um, going but have yet to find one that I really like.  I've tried stop/go signs for boys and girls, number cards, move your name magnets, and boys/girls sign-up sheets to name a few.

As I think about my routines for next year, my bathroom problem feels like it is looming over my head.  How do you manage the bathroom situation in your classrooms?  I can't wait to read all of your good ideas!

Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. I should start by saying I am a believer in the idea if you have to go you have to go. The other teachers make the kids pay time if they go when it is not scheduled. My theory is I would owe billions of hours if I were in that situation. So. . . Here is what I do, I teach first by the way, in the first weeks of school we go as a class at 8:15, 10:15, right before lunch which is 11:15, then right after lunch recess at 12:00 and right after our afternoon recess at 1:30. My motto is quick, quiet, clean. We discuss the rules, each time for the first week. I follow this schedule through the first term. Then we go first thing, at lunch and after recess. However if there is a bathroom trip needed I let the child go and as long as no one abuses the privelege students can go as needed. By January we go first thing, and right after lunch. This works for me and has done for many years. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have passes by the door. If a kid has to go and a pass is there, they go. If not, they have to wait. We set up procedures at the beginning of the year for how to use the bathroom.

    Misty
    I MOVED! Check out my new site:
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete