Adventures in First Grade

Monday, December 5, 2011

Holiday Reading Incentive

Our school uses the Accelerated Reader program (AR) as a supplement to our Language Arts curriculum.  My first grade team and I have been brainstorming ideas to get our kids excited about reading...at least as excited as they are about the holidays!!

We decided for the last two weeks before winter break, our classes would work to build a paper chain to go on our holiday trees that we have in our rooms.  Every time a child gets 100% on an AR test, they get to add a link to our chain.

We started today, and check out our little tree:




The kids are all kinds of excited about decorating the tree!  I hope to see a jump in their reading enthusiasm.

What do you do to motivate your students to read?

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I'm giving you a blog award come on over and check it out!

    Amy
    TheResource(ful)Room!

    ReplyDelete