Adventures in First Grade

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Power of Giving and Thank You!

I would like to thank Kimberly over at First in Maine for the Liebster Award!  She has an awesome blog with really neat ideas...head on over and check it out!

To see who I passed on the award to, CLICK HERE!



At our school, there has been a rule for as long as I can remember around the holiday season.  Instead of the children exchanging gifts with each other, each grade level participates in a special service project to help others.

This year, first grade decided to focus on the American Cancer Society.  We came up with the idea to Deck the First Grade Hall.  The children could bring in donations and for every dollar, we would add a link to a paper chain in the hallway.  The students were VERY excited about our special project.

There are about 100 kids in the first grade, so we thought if every kiddo brings a dollar, we would have $100.  Well, we blew by that goal in the first two days!  Then we started thinking, maybe we can get $200.  By the end of the first week we had it! 

The generosity was overwhelming, and yesterday our grand total came to:


$400.00!!

The sight of 400 chain links looping down our hall was amazing...I wish I had remembered to take a picture, but yesterday was about ten kinds of crazy!

Do your schools do service projects?  I'd love to hear other ideas!

Happy Saturday!


3 comments:

  1. That is a GREAT idea! I'm going to remember that for next year. Thanks!
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I chair the Pasta for Pennies fundraiser at our school for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. I will definitely try this next year.
    Tammy
    primaryparadise.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. A caring chain - I LOVE it! Isn't it amazing when generosity overwhelms? We did a soldier project and got 89 care packages put together for the 18 soldiers we adopted - yay! We also had group of 2nd graders making fleece blankets for two charities down the road - I blogged about it here:

    The Corner On Character

    ReplyDelete